A) The concept
VOVOX® sound conductors' design and production are based mainly on material science and not electrical engineering.
B) The goal
VOVOX aims for a pristine signal transmission which does not lose information during the process. This goal can not be achieved by taking measures that influence the sound for specific applications, e.g. by offering a special cable type for a certain instrument or musical style. The results of such measures only appear to be an improvement, since they will never help reach the goal of an unaltered signal transmission. All measures taken by VOVOX have one purpose only: To remove hurdles on the way to achieving a flawless signal flow.
C) The technical realization
VOVOX® sound conductors differ in various aspects from conventional cables. While some of these differences are obvious, others are hidden and will remain the company's business secrets.
- Solid core conductors: Conductors made of solid wires
- High purity, high tech plastics
- no plasticizers
- no PVC
- no colour pigments
- Use of an additional conductor for ground, having the same high quality as the signal conductors
- Unusually large spacing between the conductors
Yes, there is a directionality. The correct alignment is marked by the VOVOX® label. In order to get optimal results, connect the end of the cable with the VOVOX® label to the signal receiver. If you visualize the signal flow as an arrow, the label is located at the tip of the arrow. In case of sonorus patch cables, the connector marked with the VOVOX logo goes to the signal receiver. Most newer cables (except XLR) additionally have a orange sleeve at the connector that goes to the signal receiver.
One has to be aware that shielding means to compromise to a certain amount on sound quality. Therefore we look at the shield as a necessary evil. Generally speaking, we suggest using 'protect' sound conductors for applications in which interference would otherwise cause problems. In all other cases, the non-shielded 'direct' versions should be favored.protect S sound conductors:
direct S sound conductor:
VOVOX® link is the original sound conductor: the cable, that we offer ever since we founded VOVOX. VOVOX® sonorus was brought on the market later, by virtue of new insights and progres in materials research. This is our reference line.
Since both cable families are based on the same concept, the cable design is quite similar. However, whilst the conductor wires of VOVOX® link consist of silver plated copper, those of VOVOX® sonorus are based on ultra-pure copper and are additionally covered by a fine netting of natural fibers.
With both cable families we aim for the same goal: to transmit signals as losslessly and purely as possible. With VOVOX® sonorus we may come a bit closer to this objective than with VOVOX® link. The spacial imaging becomes even more three-dimensional with sonorus, the sound has altogether an even finer resolution, is more natural.
Visually the cables of both series can be distinguished very easily: cables of the link series are coated with a fine, black netting which, depending on the type, is interlaced with a gray or blue marker yarn. The sonorus cables are braided gray/black, whereupon the structure looks a bit coarser. Here we use orange and white marker yarns.
There are different ways to indicate the length of a cable. At VOVOX, we usually measure the length of the piece of cable from which we confectionate the complete cable. Dependig on the form and length of the connector we therefore get slightly different lengths from tip to tip.
Therefore it is important for custom made cables that we know exactly how the desired legth is to be comprehended.
VOVOX cables are robust. Nevertheless it is recommended to handle them with some care:
- Do not fold or knot the cable
- Try to avoid a very small bending radius
- It is not recommended to coil the cable around one's elbow (as electricians sometimes do): This may ruin the cable over time. In addition, this does not allow an orderly coil as the cable becomes twisted and will attempt to free itself from this position.
- Carefully choose the kind of connector that suits you best: Using a 90° right angle plug will often reduce the mechanical stress on the instrument as well as on the cable. Like this it contributes to longer service life of both, cable and jack.
Though this question seems to be simple, it is quite complicated to give an answer that is correct in all cases. Here is some general information:
- In the case of passive speaker cables, the influence of length on the sound is quite large. The longer the cable, the bigger the loss of sound quality.
- In the case of instrument cables and patch cables, the influence of length is quite noticeable.
- In the case of line cables, the influence is a bit smaller, but still clearly noticeable.
- In the case of balanced cables, the influence of length is relatively small.
- In the case of digital cables, from a certain length onwards, the error rate increases and the transmission becomes insecure. However, the critical length depends on various factors and is therefore difficult to denote globally.
VOVOX grants a guarantee for 3 years. In the normal case, defect cables are getting repaired, in exceptional cases they are replaced.
No guarantee shall be provided for defects that result from improper or unintended usage.